Dimitrios Biskinis (1891-1947)
D. Biskinis came from a family of hagiographers. He settled in Athens in 1900, together with his mother and older brother, where he enrolled the following year in the painting department of the Polytechnic, having as teachers Volanakis, Roilos Iakovidis and Geraniotis. In 1914 he won a scholarship for higher studies in Paris through the Averofian competition but went after the end of the FP in 1919, studying at the Academies Julian and Grande Chaumiere, while at the same time exhibiting at the Salon des artistes francais. He returned to Athens in 1923 when he was appointed professor at the School of Fine Arts in 1928. During his stay in Paris, Biskinis came into contact with the occult beliefs that prevailed in artistic circles. D. Biskinis resorted to dreams, to the world of the subconscious to enlighten and sanctify the inevitable reality of death. His students include Diamantis Diamantopoulos, Nikos Eggonopoulos, Asadour Baharian, Paris Prekas and Panagiotis Tetsis. He was friends with Kostis Palamas and illustrated many of his poetic works.
Ioannis Kefallinos (1894-1957)
Anastasios Alevizos (1914 – 1985)
Anastasios Alevizos was known by the artistic nickname Tassos. He attended engraving classes with the other great engraver Giannis Kefallinos from 1933 until his graduation from the School of Fine Arts (1939). He studied in Paris, Rome and Florence. In the Panhellenic Art Exhibition of 1938 he received the Engraving Award and in 1940, the State Engraving Award. His acquaintance with Dimitris Galanis, an important engraver of the interwar period, seems to have been decisive. With the declaration of the Greek-Italian War in 1940, Tassos, like other students of Kefallinos, created posters for the animation of the Greek people. With the Occupation, he joined the EPON and the EAM Artists, continuing, illegally, the creation of propaganda material against the occupiers. After the liberation, Tassos began to deal with other issues besides the war, such as nudity, still lifes and portraits, while at the same time he began to use color in his woodcuts. After graduating in 1939, he made covers and jewelry for the literary magazine Nea Estia. Immediately after his release, he took over the artistic direction of the publishing house “Ta Nea Vivlia” founded by the KKE in 1945 and closed in 1948. In 1948 he began collaborating with the School Book Publishing Organization (OESB, later the Organization for the Publication of Textbooks, ). The fruit of his collaboration with OESB, was the illustration of many books for the Elementary and the High School, with the first being the Reading Room of the Elementary School of 1949. In 1948 he became artistic consultant of the lithography “Aspioti-Elka”, and from 1954 to 1967 He created postage stamps on behalf of the Hellenic Post, while from 1962 until his death, he also designed postage stamps for the Republic of Cyprus. In 1959 he took over the direction of the Department of Graphic Arts at the Athenian Technological Institute, where he taught until 1967.
Panagiotis Gravvalos (1933-2015)
Panagiotis Gravvalos studied Painting at the School of Fine Arts with the great painters Spyros Papaloukas and Giannis Moralis. The professor of Engraving, Giannis Kefalinos, seeing in his designs and his excellent performance in engraving, recommended him to deal with the Art of Engraving. However, his collaboration with the great engraver A. Tassos, turned him towards the Graphic Arts and their Applications. Believing in the social and educational role of art and the artist, Panagiotis Gravvalos taught Engraving at the Athenian Technological Institute of Doxiadis Schools from 1961 until 1967. He was a founding member of the Center for Fine Arts. From 1966 to 1993 he was a permanent collaborator of ELTA and designed many series of Stamps, for most of which he was honored with international awards. In 1971, at a world competition in Warsaw, a sports poster was awarded the first prize and has been on display at the Museum of Graphic Arts in Poland ever since. From 1986 to 2000 he was an artistic collaborator of the Ionian Bank. He designed many of the lapel pins for the Athens Olympic Games. He also designed the 24 official Collectible Coins issued by the Bank of Greece Mint, of which 8 Gold and 16 Silver, while he also had the artistic curation for the Olympic and Paralympic Games. medals of the Games.