The Stamp of September
THE ESTABLISHMENT OF GREEK POST OFFICES BY IOANNIS KAPODISTRIAS
SEPTEMBER 24, 1828
Stamp of 1930, class of 5 drachmas. From the commemorative edition for the 100 years since the proclamation of Greece by the Great Powers as an Independent State (London Protocol 3.2.1830)
Copperplate printing by Bradbury Wilkinson & Co, and Perkins, Bacon & Co on white and smooth paper, without watermark, perforation 14.
First day of release April 1, 1930
Withdrawal: Αpril 1, 1931
Count Ioannis Kapodistrias (1796-1831) a descendant of an aristocratic family with a political tradition, a diplomat of the Russian state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and a politician, served as the first Governor of Greece from January 1828 until his assassination in Nafplio on October 9, 1931.
As Governor, Kapodistrias promoted important reforms for the organisation of the newly formed state: he founded the Military School of Guards, the National Mint, built new schools, founded the Ecclestiastical School in Poros and the Orphanage of Aegina.
His important offer, however, was the establishment of the Hellenic Post. On September 24, 1828, with the resolution “On the establishment of regular Post Office”, the first postal service, the “General Post Office”, was established to cover the state needs for communication of the local services. Initially, five central post offices were established (in the cities of Argos, Epidavros, Tripoli, Aegina, Syros) and with a staff of nine infantry and sixteen cavalry post officers who collected the correspondence from the Greek countryside, and delivered it to its recipients.
Alexander Loukopoulos was appointed the first general manager of the post office, who drafted the first postal regulation in 1828, according to which post offices were established in fifteen cities of the Peloponnese, sixteen cavarly and nine infantry postmen were hired, and a ship to Epidaurus and vice versa.